Thursday, March 22, 2012

Rolo Blondies

I am going to bring you a little reality. 



Stress Happens!


It's everywhere, no one can hide from it. You can try, but it lurks around every well intentioned corner waiting to strike. Such an instance happened to me this week. I had volunteered to make a dessert for our Missions Conference at our church this week. As far as I knew, I had signed up for Friday.
I planned it out, had the perfect dessert, went to the store, bought all the ingredients I didn't have and I was ahead of the game. Oh yes, I was prepared.


Then Wednesday, stress struck! One of my friends called to ask me where we were to deliver our desserts  that night. Silly girl, the desserts are for Friday. She insisted it was that night and it had to be there by noon. I glanced at the clock.... 11:50. Great! She must be wrong. I called the church secretary and asked what I had signed up for. That night! Well fantastic, now what?
There was no time to make what I had intended for Friday. I told her I would get my dessert there a little late, whatever it was going to be. 


I had just bought some Rolo's. The new bag, the one that is already unwrapped and ready for consumption. I was fully intending to eat those in a chocolate crisis. I then remembered a cookie post I had seen on cookiesandcups.com using Rolo's and pretzels. I didn't even have time to make a bunch of cookies. I had to go with a bar. Here is what happened!

Sometimes stress can be manipulated into deliciousness, such as these gems. They were so good.
I didn't want them to leave.
Like a good volunteer, I cut them up and sent them on their way, still warm, to tempt others with their gooey, chewy goodness.

You will need:

2 sticks butter, melted
 2 cups brown sugar
 2 large eggs
 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch salt
 2 cups all-purpose flour
prepackaged Rolo's
Caramel Sauce (I used Hershey's since I was pressed for time)
pretzels, crushed

Butter or line a 9x13 pan
Mix melted butter with brown sugar – beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla.
Add salt, stir in flour.


Pour 1/2 the batter into prepared pan.


Press in the Rolo's and drizzle with Caramel Sauce.


Sprinkle on the crushed pretzels. How ever many look right to you. Enough to cover.


Drop on the remaining batter in three places and smooth out at best you can. 
Just for the fun of it, sprinkle on some chocolate chips.

Bake at 350°F 25-30 minutes, or until set in the middle.
 Cool on rack before cutting them. 


Enjoy!
They were chewy and rich,  with a hint of the salty pretzel. 
I must make these again soon!
Definitely a stress reliever.



Baking from my heart to your kitchen,


No comments:

Post a Comment