Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pastel Coconut Cupcakes and Marshmallow Frosting

I love Easter.


I think it is right up there with Christmas for me.


I love all the pastel colors and pretty dresses. I have three boys so the only pretty dress will be on me, but I am ok with that. They have some stylin clothes for boys now and they will be adorable.



I also love that the weather is getting warmer and everything is blooming around me. 


We had an Easter playdate around these parts and it was so much fun. We had an Easter egg hunt and those little rascals found the eggs so fast. One of my friends graciously opened her house to all of us and there were kiddos everywhere. I was going to plan other activities, but they all had so much fun just playing. It was glorious actually. There was no fighting and as far as I know no "boo boos". The weather was perfect and we just had a great time.


I of course brought something sweet, really, it is just expected of me now. I must say, I don't mind at all. I love it.


It was a warm day so the marshmallow frosting decided to melt all over my cupcake.
The important part was that they were still yummy.




I used a really simple recipe with a box this time. I know *gasp* but sometimes it just works. Don't judge me, you know boxed white cake is delicious. You will also want to make these, trust me.


You will need:

Pastel Coconut Cupcakes

1 box white cake mix
1 (8.5 oz) can cream of coconut
1 package vanilla instant pudding 
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
4 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Blend all ingredients with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute.
Stop and scrape down the sides.
 Increase the mixer to medium and beat for 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if needed. The batter should look thick and smooth.


Divide the batter into four equal parts and dye pastel colors.


Drop colors in one at a time. So pretty.



Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool on rack.

Let's talk frosting!

Pastel Marshmallow Frosting
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbls water
2 large egg whites
1 jar (7oz: 1 1/2 cups) marshmallow creme

Place the sugar, water, and egg whites in a medium-size heavy saucepan.


Cook over low heat, beating continuously with an electric hand mixer on hight speed until soft peaks form, 3-4 minutes. Please be careful... don't melt your cord on the burner.

 
Soft peaks! Remove the pan from the heat.


Add the marshmallow creme and beat the mixture with the mixer on hight speed until stiff peaks from, about 2 minutes more.

The recipe said to use at once, but I regridgerated it overnight. That might have been my downfall and why it melted so easily. Note to self... Use at Once!


They were still quite tasty and the marshmallow frosting complimented the coconut cupcake well. Want to see the inside? I know  you do....


The one on the left I put the batter in side by side.

On the right I placed the batter on top of each other.

Pretty!




They made a pretty pastel display!
They just make me happy, even if they did melt.
Oh and we will talk about those cookies next week.
Something to look forward to!


Baking from my heart to your kitchen,




No comments:

Post a Comment